When creating names in Quenya and/or Sindarin, trying to replicate the sound of actual words in whatever language(s) yields much better results than trying to recreate meanings - in the latter case, when your native language has sounds that are by and large the same as those of Quenya, you might occasionally come up with a name that sounds OK at first, but then realise that it sounds too much like an everyday word, and that just won't do.
Of course there are RL words that won't work in any Elven language. Like, sadly I can't use "Adhar", Scottish gaelic for "Sky", for obvious reasons.
Sometimes the phonology is OK but the meaning is weird, and it might occasionally draw from Tolkien earlier's languages, but whenever this is the case I don't particularly mind.
Names of characters in games and/or books might also provide inspiration (or just be copied 1:1, hello Orladin).
Cherry on top is when scouring the dictionaries leads to interesting conceptual finds - like "linquë", which apart from meaning grass/reed/hyacinth also means "liquid light".
Tl;dr, I've come up with ALL the names for Curufin's additional daughters + a father's name for Amanísë and one for Celebrimbor* (which "doesn't have curu or finwë in it and also no words related to fire or jewels" :) ...but it's still something Curvo feels deeply about his dad and his son).
Curufin also acquired two granddaughters (!) (and they're not Tyelpë's children).
I was also considering Curufin clashing with Finwë...honestly I'm not sure what Finwë is even doing in this fic, but I guess someone needs to be the voice of reason? But yeah, Curufin agreeing to obey Finwë only because Fëanor would be sad if he didn't. MMMMMMMMH
* After all the ROP-related memes in Native Tongue his Sindarin name sounds even more stupid than it did before. T_T Tyelperinquar is slightly more pleasing to my ears.
Of course there are RL words that won't work in any Elven language. Like, sadly I can't use "Adhar", Scottish gaelic for "Sky", for obvious reasons.
Sometimes the phonology is OK but the meaning is weird, and it might occasionally draw from Tolkien earlier's languages, but whenever this is the case I don't particularly mind.
Names of characters in games and/or books might also provide inspiration (or just be copied 1:1, hello Orladin).
Cherry on top is when scouring the dictionaries leads to interesting conceptual finds - like "linquë", which apart from meaning grass/reed/hyacinth also means "liquid light".
Tl;dr, I've come up with ALL the names for Curufin's additional daughters + a father's name for Amanísë and one for Celebrimbor* (which "doesn't have curu or finwë in it and also no words related to fire or jewels" :) ...but it's still something Curvo feels deeply about his dad and his son).
Curufin also acquired two granddaughters (!) (and they're not Tyelpë's children).
I was also considering Curufin clashing with Finwë...honestly I'm not sure what Finwë is even doing in this fic, but I guess someone needs to be the voice of reason? But yeah, Curufin agreeing to obey Finwë only because Fëanor would be sad if he didn't. MMMMMMMMH
* After all the ROP-related memes in Native Tongue his Sindarin name sounds even more stupid than it did before. T_T Tyelperinquar is slightly more pleasing to my ears.